Thursday, March 03, 2011

Safety for social workers - surely
that's not too much to ask?

“I’ve been spat at, punched, shouted at, and had my car broken into. One of my colleagues has been followed home and had to call the police. This is just some of the shocking treatment that I regularly face as a social worker. It’s a tough enough job as it is, and I often feel like my employers feel like these kind of incidents are just part of the job.” “It’s time to put a stop to the violence and focus on making social work a safer job. To do that we need to make people at the top, sit up and take notice” - that is the message coming from UNISON, the UK’s largest public sector union, today (4 February). The union has written to key stakeholders in social work highlighting the violence facing social workers, demanding a safe working environment and calling for high risk practices like lone working to be tackled. The letter is the latest in the union and Community Care’s ten week campaign to highlight what social workers need. Helga Pile, UNISON national officer for social work, said: “Any job dealing with the public has a higher rate of attacks or abuse – but social workers can be exposed to particularly dangerous and volatile situations on a daily basis. It is a tragedy that social workers have been killed by clients. Staff should not have to live in fear of danger when they go to work. “The effects of threats, abuse and violent incidents take their toll and can be devastating, not only for the social worker, but for their co-workers and families. It’s also bad news for employers, as it leads to staff taking time off or even leaving their jobs – the loss of an experienced social worker is a real problem for councils as there is a chronic shortage. “You cannot deal with violence effectively, without knowing the extent of the problem. We need a national system for monitoring violent incidents in social care, so that trends can be identified and risk hotspots tackled. And employers must do their bit by working to evaluate risks and drive them down to a minimum. Some are not even doing the basics like providing mobile phones, deploying staff in pairs on high risk visits, and responding to threats against staff. It’s not good enough to sit back and say it’s all part of the job. And we need strong deterrents, such as more prosecutions and greater penalties for those found guilty of attacking social workers.”A UNISON social worker from England said: “I get daily verbal threats over the phone, I’m threatened with violence, face to face, every 2 weeks. I‘ve had threats made, not just against myself, but to my family and children, I have had my car vandalised on several occasions. I have been locked in a house, and had items thrown at me that have hit me. I’ve even been threatened with needles. All from parents and children who I am working to help.”

No comments: